CONFLICT AVOIDANCE PRACTICE:
- Training: Ms. Perez provides training on a wide variety of topics including: harassment prevention (Ms. Perez is the primary author of regulations clarifying requirements to meet AB1825 standards); diversity and unconscious bias; workplace investigations; management practices (interviews, coaching and discipline, terminations, evaluations); leadership; disability issues; and numerous other topics that involve the intersection between employment law and HR. Ms. Perez also provides keynote addresses for a wide variety of organizations.
Design and Execution of Comprehensive Diversity Program: Ms. Perez leads Ogletree’s D&I Solutions Group. Our solutions include helping companies identify the direct link between diversity and business success; they provide assistance with the design and execution of programs that will help shape the company into an employer of choice, and these programs provide tangible ways for companies to increase market share.
Specific services cover the entire gamut of diversity categories and training is offered in English and Spanish. Services include:
- Conducting initial needs assessment and strategic planning for companies who want to start an initiative from scratch, or who want to revamp an existing plan, including developing a comprehensive plan and schedule for the implementation of a program.
- Formulating mission statements that emphasize the company’s commitment to all members of the workforce.
- Working with senior management to execute communication plans that makes leadership buy-in clear.
- Implementation of numerous components of a comprehensive program, including (among others):
- Establishing comprehensive recruitment efforts to increase diversity, and designing programs to retain and promote to increase inclusion.
- Assistance with the implementation of mentor programs, forming employee resource groups, analysis of where problems might exist in terms of promotion opportunities and implementation of solutions to eliminate those barriers and establishing other programs to support the company’s D&I efforts.
- Heling managers hone evaluation and conflict resolution skills to diminish loss of diverse talent.
- Training sessions to discuss diversity issues (including issues related to implicit or unconscious bias) and plans that clearly link D&I efforts to increased sales and increased market share, profitability, competitiveness and brand reputation.
- Assistance with the implementation of outward-facing efforts, including working with marketing departments to publicize diversity efforts to clients and others, establishing minority vendor programs, and working with community organizations to support internal and external aspects of diversity programs
- Design and Execution of Conflict Avoidance and Conflict Resolution Programs: Ms. Perez routinely helps companies implement programs to avoid and resolve conflict. This includes comprehensive conflict resolution programs (developing a comprehensive system to receive, handle and resolve complaints), developing programs to address disability accommodation requests and well as developing communication plans to avoid conflict in the first place.
- Independent Workplace Investigations: Ms. Perez assists clients from a wide variety of industries in all areas of human resources and employment law. She combines her legal expertise with her real world knowledge to provide clients with practical advice on all types of HR and employment law issues. Ms. Perez has developed a particular expertise in conducting workplace investigations covering the entire gamut of employment law and HR matters in California and across the United States. She has worked with both the private and public sectors and with unionized and non-unionized work settings covering a wide array of industries. Ms. Perez wrote Workplace Investigations: Seven Critical Steps to Success™ and trains HR professionals and line managers across the country on how to conduct fair, thorough and lawful workplace investigations. Ms. Perez also wrote the chapter on workplace investigations for Advising California Employers and Employees published by the California’s Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB)
- Disability Issues: Additionally, Ms. Perez provides consulting services involving issues related to employee disabilities, including providing guidance on the interactive process and expert advice on how to analyze reasonable accommodation requests. Ms. Perez was a primary author of regulations clarifying the Fair Housing and Employment Act as related to disability discrimination issues that went into effect on December 30, 2012. Ms. Perez’s chapter on the interactive process and the reasonable accommodation analysis appears in CEB’s Drafting Employment Documents for California Employers. Ms. Perez has also drafted articles on issues related to the interactive process and the reasonable accommodation analysis that have been published in the Law Review of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the California State Bar as well as in the CEB’s Business Law Practitioner.
- Wage and Hour: Ms. Perez has also conducted numerous wage and hour audits, including audits to determine whether employees have been properly classified (exempt versus non-exempt) and audits related to compliance issues for nonexempt employees (timekeeping, etc.)
- Spanish Business Solutions: Because of her native Spanish speaking skills, Ms. Perez has worked extensively with entities with a large percentage of Latino and Spanish-speaking employees. She provides all consulting and training services in Spanish and includes cultural nuances unique to the Latino culture.