Our fast-paced Sacramento office has an opportunity for an experienced litigation Paralegal to join the firm’s expanding practice. The paralegal assists with all aspects of the discovery and litigation process; investigates facts, propounds and responds to discovery, prepares third party subpoenas and prepares documents for filing in both Federal and State courts; conducts legal research and cite-checks briefs; reviews, redacts and prepares documents for production; maintains and organizes documents; and prepares calendar deadlines and assists with all aspects of pre-trial and trial preparation.
These are the essential functions of the position. Successful job applicants will be able to perform these essential functions with or without requested reasonable accommodations:
• Organizes and indexes case files and documents produced
• Determines pre-trial and trial calendars’ deadlines
• Performs a wide variety of legal research and data compilation, with little or no supervision
• Assists with preparation of pleadings to be filed with the Court
• Prepares correspondence, declarations and compendium of evidence in support of dispositive motions
• Drafts a wide variety of legal documents in discovery, including third-party subpoenas.
• Reviews documents on document database and prepares for production along with a privilege log when necessary
• Prepares for mediations, arbitrations and trials
• Assists Attorneys at trial
• Assists Attorney in preparation for depositions
• Communicates with witnesses and experts and assists with preparation of anticipated testimony
• Assists with scheduling
• Enters billing and expense data into Firm system in a timely manner
• 5+ years of paralegal experience, preferably working in a labor/employment litigation practice.
• ABA-approved Paralegal certificate and a degree from accredited college or university.
• Experience in preparing attorneys for trials, arbitrations and mediations with little or no supervision.
• Experience with assistance at trial.
• Must have experience preparing third-party subpoenas (including calculation of all deadlines).
• Experience with trial preparation software, including Trial Director, LiveNote, CaseMap is preferred.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) Lexis-Nexis, WestLaw, Live Note, Relativity, Case Map, Docketing, Document Management System, expense and billing systems.
Ogletree Deakins offers a robust suite of benefits for our Staff including: Paid Time Off, Sick Time, a 401(k) matching program, Profit Sharing, Paid Holidays, Paid Parental Leave, affordable Health and Life Insurance including Dental & Vision coverage, Health Savings Account /Flexible Spending Accounts to help offset the cost of dependent care and/or health care expenses, Teladoc (24/7 access to a doctor by phone or online video), Tuition Reimbursement and an Employee Assistance Program.