Mr. Phifer has more than thirty-five years of experience representing employers in employment-related and benefits-related litigation and in counseling employers on compliance with federal and state employment laws. He has represented clients in diverse industries, including manufacturing, construction, service, transportation, trucking, healthcare, financial, retail and food processing, as well as in the public sector.
Selected Reported Cases:
Gilmer v. Interstate/Johnson Lane Corp., 500 U.S. 20 (1991) (upholding order compelling Plaintiff to arbitrate his ADEA claim).
Harrison v. Edison Brothers Apparel Stores, Inc., 151 F.3d 176 (4th Cir. 1998) (affirming trial court decision in sex harassment action that set aside adverse jury verdict and entered judgment for employer).
Ard v. Southwest Forest Industries, Inc., 849 F.2d 517 (11th Cir. 1988) (affirming defense verdict in ADEA reduction-in-force case).
Barnes v. Southwest Forest Industries, Inc., 814 F.2d 607 (11th Cir. 1987) (affirming summary judgment for employer in ADEA reduction-in-force case).
- J.D., University of South Carolina School of Law, 1977
- B.A., University of South Carolina, 1973
Admittance to Practice
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina Bar (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar (Employment and Labor Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section and Subcommittee on Employee Benefits Law)
- National Retail Federation (Committee on Employment Law)
- The First Tee of Charlotte – Board of Directors, Executive Committee, and Secretary
- Changed Choices, Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Charlotte
- South Carolina Law Review, Executive Editor (1975-77)
- Wig & Robe Honor Society
- Instructor, Legal Writing – University of South Carolina School of Law (1976-77)
- AV Preeminent rating for more than 15 consecutive years by Martindale-Hubbell*
- Best Lawyers in America*, (2013-present) (Employment Law-Management; Litigation-Labor & Employment Law)
Please follow the link provided for information on the standards for admission to this group, organization, or publication. This group, organization, or publication does not have a financial interest in promoting any particular lawyer. There is no fee charged for membership in this group, organization, or publication.