When litigation cannot be avoided, employers seek Scott’s judgment for assessing their potential legal exposure and his advocacy skills for defending them and their business judgments in court. In some of Scott’s litigation experiences, he:
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of university in race discrimination case asserted by former head coach.
- Secured jury verdict on behalf of national retailer that mitigated former employee’s “off the clock” wage claim.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of regional home nursing provider in a whistleblower case asserted by its highest ranking clinician who was discharged 23 hours after lodging complaints with CEO.
- Obtained directed verdict at trial on behalf of manufacturer in FMLA case asserted by former production worker.
- Secured dismissal of class-based WARN Act claims on behalf of hospital system.
Scott’s experiences extend beyond the courtroom and into the Board Room and at the negotiating table. For example:
- Scott secured meaningful and necessary concessions when serving as chief spokesperson and lead negotiator on behalf of large, urban, tertiary-care hospital in collective bargaining with SEIU involving more than 1,300 registered nurses. Scott has negotiated collective bargaining agreements on behalf of various acute care health systems, hospitals, and skilled nursing facilities with various unions such as SEIU, PASNAP, Operating Engineers, and others.
- Scott obtained favorable arbitration awards on behalf of a hospital upholding contract language enabling it to manage its workforce effectively, redeploy and layoff portions of its nursing staff without paying expensive severance benefits, and uphold the contractual adequacy of its workplace safety practices.
- Scott assisted national trucking company to successfully and lawfully persuade its employees to reject organizing campaign by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters without being charged with a single unfair labor practice.
- Scott obtained favorable arbitration award upholding hospital’s discharge of a registered nurse employed by it for 30+ years after violating HIPAA and other patient confidentiality policies.
- Scott devised FLSA-compliant mandatory unpaid leave of absence program and related payroll practices to assist a national, publically traded distribution company obtain significant cost saving measures during economic downturn.
- Scott crafted non-solicitation and non-competition agreements for medical equipment & services company to protect its trade secrets, proprietary information, human capitol, and competitive position throughout the Eastern United States.