Mr. Pankratz has first chaired a multiple-day employment discrimination arbitration, has first chaired contract dispute arbitrations, has first chaired a number of judge-tried trials, and has successfully argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals in support of an order granting summary judgment. Mr. Pankratz also has significant experience in general commercial litigation and has second chaired a reinsurance arbitration regarding yearly renewable term rates resulting in a positive judgment for the client in excess of $100 million.
With respect to employment matters, Mr. Pankratz regularly engages in the following:
- Counsel employers on a wide range of employment-related matters, including policies, terminations, severances, reductions in force, FLSA compliance and classification of individuals as employees or independent contractors, FMLA compliance, WARN Act compliance, Department of Labor investigations, and I-9 compliance and investigations.
- Defend claims of sexual harassment and discrimination based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, medical leave, pregnancy, nationality, religion, and other protected characteristics.
- Represent employers in federal and state courts, as well as administrative agencies such as the EEOC, the U.S. DOL, OSHA and their state and local counterparts.
- Defend clients against lawsuits alleging violations of restrictive covenants and claims under the FMLA, Davis-Bacon Act and the FLSA.
- Draft and advise on employment policies, handbooks, contracts, restrictive covenants, executive compensation agreements, and severance agreements.
- Counsel employers on reductions in force, and draft necessary documentation and agreements.
- Represent and counsel buyers and sellers in the sale of business context and mergers & acquisitions related to employment matters and conducts due diligence on behalf of buyers.