Andrew Merrills is the Practice Group Lead for the firm’s immigration group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of U.S. and worldwide business visas and employment-based immigration for multi-national corporations. He works with companies to obtain temporary and permanent work visas on behalf of graduates, new hires, and transferring employees. He also advises companies on employee documentation requirements, employer compliance and sanctions issues. Mr. Merrills performs investigations related to visa compliance related issues such as J-1, H-1B, and H-2B employer compliance. He possesses extensive experience in setting up appropriate employee hiring and permanent residency process strategies. He is a frequent lecturer on business immigration law topics before trade associations, industry groups and professional organizations. He has authored numerous immigration newsletters and various articles in professional publications. Mr. Merrills was recognized as a Band 1, Leading Individual, Labor & Employment: Immigration in the Chambers USA*, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2007 through 2013 editions of The Client’s Guide. Mr. Merrills also earned the honor of being Recommended in “Labor and employment – Immigration” category (2015-2016 and 2016-2017) by The Legal 500 United States.
- J.D., Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University, 1991
- B.A., Political Science, Duke University, 1988
Admittance to Practice
- North Carolina
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Acquisition and Integration: Harmonizing New Voices Into One Chorus" - Boca Raton - November 10, 2017
- Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Stopped at the Border? How Recent Immigration Actions Affect the Workplace" - Boca Raton - November 10, 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "A Tale of Two Cities . . . or Four or Ten: Best Practices For Structuring International Assignments" - San Diego - May 4, 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Panel Discussion: It’s Going to Be Huge! The Trump Administration and Employers" - San Diego - May 4, 2017
- September 7, 2017 - Law.com - "http://www.law.com/sites/almstaff/2017/09/07/what-employers-should-consider-after-trumps-daca-decision/"
- December 7, 2016 - Corporate Counsel - "Five Employment Visa Issues to Watch In a Trump Presidency"
- May 27, 2015 - Law360 - "Q&A With Ogletree Deakins' Andrew Merrills"
- July 31, 2012 - Inside Counsel - "Cheat Sheet: A Quick Guide To The American Stalemate On Immigration Policy"
- July 31, 2012 - Inside Counsel - "How the immigration Policy Stalemate is Hurting Businesses and the Economy"
- June 25, 2012 - Law360 - "Ariz. Immigration Ruling May Save Cos. From State Law Hassles"
- April 3, 2008 - Law360 - "New Fines Signal Crackdown On Illegal Workers"
- March 17, 2008 - Law360 - "Three Bills Aim To Raise Ceiling On Worker Visas"
- Recognized as Band 1, Leading Individual, Labor & Employment: Immigration by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2007-2013)*
- The Legal 500 United States (2015-2016 and 2016-2017): Recommended in “Labor and employment – Immigration” category
Please follow the link provided for information on the standards for admission to this group, organization, or publication. This group, organization, or publication does not have a financial interest in promoting any particular lawyer. There is no fee charged for membership in this group, organization, or publication.