Carolyn Hall focuses her practice on wage and hour class and collective action litigation, including defense of representative actions brought under the California Labor Code Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA). Ms. Hall has represented employers in state and federal courts and administrative agencies. She has defended employers in class actions involving a wide range of alleged violations including prevailing wages, overtime/minimum wage claims, off-the-clock claims, meal period and rest break claims, reimbursement claims, wage statement violations, record keeping violations, and travel time claims. Ms. Hall has experience counseling employers in compliance with federal and state employment laws on a wide range of wage and hour issues, including under the Service Contract Act.
- Defeated class certification in a class action lawsuit by former residential property managers alleging misclassification.
- Obtained favorable early settlement of class action alleging overtime and meal and rest break claims against national distribution employer.
- Obtained favorable resolution of approximately 30 individual wage claims brought by security guards before the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
- Obtained favorable outcome in Department of Labor investigation of alleged timekeeping violations in the residential care industry.
- Defense of California class action alleging failure to pay prevailing wages in the fire safety industry.
- Defense of California class action lawsuit by field technician employees seeking compensation for travel time in company-provided vehicles.
- Defense verdict in wage and hour collective and class action arbitration alleging misclassification of employees in the financial services industry after defeating class
- Obtained summary judgment of California overtime claims against international wholesale bakery company in collective and class action filed in federal court
- Defense of nationwide collective and class action alleging misclassification against well-known international payroll service provider
- Defense of wage and hour collective and class action alleging misclassification of insurance adjusters and asserting state and federal overtime claims, case settled on terms very favorable to employer
- Defense of international life safety and property protection company in wage and hour class action
- Represent national insurance company in employment discrimination litigation
- Represent international construction and engineering company in wage discrimination action
- J.D., Golden Gate University School of Law, 2000
- B.A., Eastern Michigan University, 1978
Admittance to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Northern California Human Resources Association (Board member, Liaison to the Legislative Affairs Committee of the San Francisco Chapter)
- San Francisco Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Arbitrations – Recent Developments at the State and Federal Level" - San Francisco - November 4, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Defending Against Common Wage and Hour Laws" - San Francisco - April 8, 2014
- December 2010 - SHRM - "California Legislative Summary"
- The Legal 500 United States 2016: Recommended in Labor and employment- Workplace and employment counseling