Mr. Petersen represents and counsels employers in a broad range of U.S. and international labor and employment laws, U.S. and global data privacy and data protection laws, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other international anti-corruption laws. He is the founder of the firm’s Data Privacy Practice Group and co-founder of the firm’s International Practice Group. Mr. Petersen has advised many clients regarding the impact of global data privacy laws in the workplace, the complexities of international transfers of human resources data, and practical steps for compliance with the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation. He speaks and writes on data privacy and employment issues regularly.
Mr. Petersen handles the following types of matters:
- Advises clients regarding legal issues arising under international labor and employment laws and data protection and privacy laws
- Assisting clients to self-certify under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield
- Assisting clients to self-certify under the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
- Developing Global Data Privacy Policies
- Drafting international data privacy notifications and consents.
- Drafting international data transfers
- Assisting clients with GDPR compliance
- Advising on international data retention periods
- Litigates all aspects of labor and employment law cases in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies
- Drafts expatriate employment contracts and international non-competition agreements
- Prepares and reviews global policy and procedure manuals and employee handbooks
- Presents seminars and management training programs for clients and employer organizations on U.S. and international labor, employment, and data privacy topics
- Prepares and implements compliance programs for the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other anti-corruption laws
- Assists clients with internal and cross-border investigations regarding labor and employment and anti-corruption matters
- Assists clients in union organizing campaigns
- Represents employers in collective bargaining
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1979
- B.A., Northwestern University, 1976
Admittance to Practice
- U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- American Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law and International Sections)
- Florida Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law and International Sections)
- Illinois Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Tampa Bay International Business Council (President)
- Bay Area Manufacturers Association (Director)
- British American Business Council Tampa Bay (President)
- French-American Business Council of West Florida (Director)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E)
- Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Securing Your Workplace in the World of Data Privacy and Cybersecurity" - La Quinta - November 9, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Pitfalls and Action Items as the General Data Protection Regulation Becomes Effective" - Phoenix - May 10, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins International Practice Group Seminar - "Employee Data Privacy Worldwide: GDPR and Beyond" - Washington, D.C. - March 29, 2018
- Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Data Makes the Work Go Around: Engaging Employees to Prevent Data Loss" - Boca Raton - November 10, 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "In Search of the Truth: Foolproof Interview Techniques for Workplace Investigations" - San Diego - May 3, 2017
- December 2014 - HR Florida Review - "Florida's New Data Breach Notification Requirements"
- February 6, 2014 - JDSupra - "Nothing Personal: How to be Smart About Your BYOD Workplace Policy (And Why It Matters!)"
- May 15, 2018 - SHRM Online - "3 GDPR Compliance Steps Explained"
- February 6, 2018 - SHRM Online - "Improved Employment Screening Will Make Candidates Happier in 2018"
- June 24, 2016 - Tampa Bay Times - "Here's how Brexit will affect Florida and the Tampa Bay area"
- July 1, 2014 - Tampa Bay Business Journal - "Florida Information Protection Act shines light on data security"
- January 11, 2013 - Tampa Bay Business Journal - "Guidance Available for Anti-Bribery Law"
- August 20, 2010 - Dallas Business Journal - "Feds Ramp Up Enforcement in Foreign Corruption Case"