Jana Korhonen is an employment litigator and counselor. Jana partners with clients to understand their businesses and regularly counsels clients on employment-related matters, including terminations, reductions in force, employee handbooks, discipline, internal investigations, systemic discrimination, leaves of absence, workplace accommodations, wage and hour compliance, pay equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives, and other employment issues. She has worked most closely with clients in the hospitality, manufacturing, entertainment, energy, and healthcare industries.
Jana has experience representing clients in federal and state courts, in mediations and arbitrations, and before administrative agencies. She has handled actions alleging wage and hour violations, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, failure to accommodate, tortious interference, whistleblower and wrongful termination claims.
- Counseled numerous clients on strategies for managing employee disputes without a need for resulting litigation, aiming for “win-win” results that help clients stay focused on running their businesses.
- Collaborated to create an innovative electronic tracking methodology to achieve manufacturing client’s wage and hour compliance objectives at eight locations.
- Advised client on comprehensive plan for closing manufacturing plant in compliance with federal and state WARN laws while retaining valuable top talent for other available positions within the company.
- Completed multiple short-term secondments for clients’ in-house Legal Departments in the Metro Atlanta area to provide practical advice and concise communications tailored to clients’ business needs.
- Represented several companies in U.S. Department of Labor investigations into wage/hour practices.
- Represented client in defense of Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower complaint filed with the U.S. Department of Labor that had the potential for negative publicity.
- Defended client against allegations of systemic pay discrimination throughout its Sales Department in matter before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Assisted client in energy industry with defense of Title VII retaliation case through summary judgment and defended case on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- Assisted client in entertainment industry with defense of whistleblower’s allegations of retaliation, age discrimination, and tortious interference with business relations through summary judgment in Michigan state court and defended case on appeal to Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Represented client in bench trial in Henry County, Georgia.
- Negotiated early dismissal of legal claims based on improper drug testing through communication with plaintiff’s counsel, thereby saving client the time and expense of further discovery and a summary judgment motion.
Before joining Ogletree, Jana worked for three years for a multi-national pulp and packaging business as in-house counsel. Before that, she practiced labor & employment law for over 7 years in Atlanta with a large, full-service firm. Jana served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Walter E. Johnson, U.S. Magistrate Judge in the Northern District of Georgia, from 2004-2006. While in law school, Jana was the Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review and an extern to the Honorable Chief Judge Charles P. Kocoras in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.