In addition to serving as lead counsel in multiple employment arbitrations resulting in defense awards, Mike has tried more than a dozen jury trials and has argued before both the Eighth and Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mike’s litigation and trial accomplishments include serving as counsel in a case resulting in the fourth most significant defense verdict in Missouri in 2001, and being part of a trial team in one of the most significant defense verdicts in Missouri in 2006, both as characterized by The Missouri Lawyers Weekly.
Mike is a member of the firm’s Restrictive Covenants and Trade Secrets Practice Group, and routinely advises on and litigates disputes in these areas. He has experience both enforcing restrictions and defending against enforcement actions in state and federal courts in Kansas and Missouri.
Mike has represented attorneys in disciplinary proceedings in both Kansas and Missouri, was appointed by the Missouri Supreme Court as a Disciplinary Hearings Officer, and serves on the KCMBA Fee Dispute Resolution Committee.
Coupling his membership of the firm’s Records Retention And E-Discovery Practice Group, with his litigation background, Mike uses his experience to best assess record retention and e-discovery risks and the practical considerations for managing those risks. In additional to routinely being responsible for e-discovery in many single-plaintiff cases, his more notable experience with regard to e-discovery preservation and production efforts includes:
- A class action against a national transportation company brought by employees claiming they were denied accrued vacation pay
- A wrongful termination suit brought by an in-house attorney against one of the country’s largest insurers
- An FLSA “off the clock” collective action against a national security/alarm company brought by installers and technicians
- An FLSA “off the clock” collective action against a casino brought by table game floor supervisors
- An FLSA “off the clock” collective action against a national security company brought by security guards
- A wage-payment claim brought against a national retailer brought on behalf of sales associates across the county for unpaid commissions
- Class action/multiple-plaintiff litigation against a school district brought by former school administrators claiming age discrimination