Michael focuses on all aspects of labor and employment law. He advises companies on labor and employment policy matters, including serving as primary outside labor and employment counsel to multiple private and publicly traded companies. He regularly defends companies and management against discrimination (race, gender, national origin, disability, and religion), sexual harassment, and retaliation claims before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and before state and federal courts. He has experience representing employers in wage and hour collective actions, multi-party discrimination claims, and administrative actions. He also represents management in union organizing campaigns, collective bargaining negotiations, labor arbitrations, and unfair labor practice and representation hearings. In addition, Michael has significant experience representing companies and individuals in complex restrictive covenant (non-solicitation, non-competition, etc.) and trade secret actions, including seeking emergency injunctive relief to protect his clients' interests.
In addition to cases in which he has negotiated favorable confidential settlement agreements or other favorable resolutions to employment and labor disputes on behalf of his clients, the following are some examples of Michael's representative matters:
- He regularly advises national, regional, and local clients on labor policies and disputes, as well as contract negotiations and grievance arbitrations.
- He has represented national and regional clients in labor contract negotiations with various unions, including the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and the United Steel Workers.
- He has represented national and regional clients on workforce restructuring and assisted with strategies for a company-wide reductions-in-force.
- He has obtained summary judgment on numerous occasions in favor of regional and national companies in single-plaintiff and multi-plaintiff discrimination, retaliation, and sexual harassment lawsuits.
- He has obtained temporary restraining orders and injunctions on behalf of multiple regional and national companies in both state and federal courts in non-competition, non-solicitation, non-disclosure, trade secret, and unfair competition cases. The cases have included suits to enforce restrictive covenant obligations. He has also represented high-level managers and employers who are defending against restrictive covenant claims.
- He has obtained emergency temporary restraining orders and injunctions on behalf of multiple clients for workplace violence.
- He has successfully represented multiple clients in discrimination and harassment claims on appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- He has represented multiple national, regional, and local clients claims involving restrictive covenant disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets and computer fraud, along with other tortious conduct.
Michael is also a graduate of the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA) trial training program in Boulder, Colorado.