With decades of in-depth labor and employment law experience representing a wide range of employers, including the aerospace, healthcare, hospitality, retail, transportation, manufacturing and mining industries, Mr. Nagy has a keen understanding and perspective that few Arizona practitioners in the field can offer. His considerable employment litigation, arbitration, and appellate experience compliment and enrich the practical advice and creative solutions he provides to resolving complex human resources issues.
Mr. Nagy has substantial experience litigating and successfully defending employers in matters in federal and state courts, including appellate courts and the Arizona Supreme Court, as well as before administrative agencies and arbitrators. These matters include the defense of cases arising under federal and state employment discrimination statues, wage and hour laws (including class and collective actions), the ADA, ERISA, the ADEA, and the FMLA. Mr. Nagy also has successfully defended employers against state law claims for wrongful discharge, employment torts, and defamation, and has litigated both the defense and enforcement of restrictive covenants. Many of these cases were favorably decided on motions for summary judgment.
Mr. Nagy also has considerable past experience defending employers in workers’ compensation claims before the Industrial Commission of Arizona. Additionally, Mr. Nagy is one of only a handful of attorneys located in Tucson, Arizona with experience defending employers before the National Labor Relations Board, including representation elections, and hearings pertaining to representation petitions and unfair labor practice complaints.
Representative Appellate Cases:
- Cronin v. Sheldon, 991 P.2d 231, (Supreme Court of Arizona, 1999).
- O’Day v. McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Co., 959 P.2d 792, (Supreme Court of Arizona, 1998).
- London-Marable v. Boeing Co., 357 Fed.Appx. 61, (9th Cir.(Ariz.) 2009).
- J.D., University of Arizona College of Law, 1982
- B.A., Economics, University of Arizona, 1979
Admittance to Practice
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- State Bar of Arizona (Labor and Employment Law Section; Past Chairman – 1993-1994)
- American Bar Association (Equal Employment Opportunity Committee; Workers’ Compensation Committee)
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Work Reconstructed: Risks and Solutions in the Digital Era" - Las Vegas - May 3, 2019
- Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Complex Leave Challenges: Round 2 - Paid Sick Leave and Family Leave" - La Quinta - November 8, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Arizona's Paid Sick Leave Law: Lessons From the Trenches" - Scottsdale - October 26, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Let Good Deeds Go Unpunished: Support Employee Volunteerism Without Liability" - Phoenix - May 10, 2018
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Sick Leave and Paid Time Off In A Prop 206 World - Are Your PTO Policies Compliant Yet?" - Scottsdale - October 20, 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Ethical Considerations of Technology’s Impact on the Attorney-Client Relationship" - San Diego - May 6, 2017
- Arizona Industry Liaison Group - "2017 Employment Law Trends" - Tucson - May 2017
- Southeastern Arizona Contractor’s Association - "Prop. 206: Mandatory Paid Sick Leave - What Every Arizona Employer Should Know" - Sierra Vista - April 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "Proposition 206: Understanding Arizona's New Minimum Wage and Paid Sick Leave Law" - January 2017
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor and Employment Counsel Exclusive - "I Do What I Want! Managing Individual Expression At Work" - Colorado Springs - September 2016
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Reel Ethics (Ethical Issues for In-House L&E Counsel)" - Phoenix - June 2016
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "More Wage And Hour Suits (And Enforcement) Than Ever? Really?" - Chicago - May 2016
- Ogletree Deakins Corporate Labor & Employment Counsel Exclusive - "Technology and the Attorney-Client Relationship – Risks and Opportunities" - Phoenix - November 2015
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Internal Investigations and the Attorney-Client Privilege-I'm Covered, Right?" - Phoenix - June 19, 2015
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Complex Leave Issues Under the FMLA/ADA" - Tucson - April 10, 2014
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "The Arizona Employment Protection Act: Still Some Crazy Questions After All These Years" - Scottsdale - October 4, 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Dealing With Difficult Employees Discharge, Discipline . . . Or Denial" - New Orleans - May 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Briefing - "Criminal Background Checks – Doing them the Right Way" - Tucson - April 2013
- U.S. District Court of Arizona, District Conference - "Ex Parte Contact with Represented Parties" - Tucson - March 2013
- Ogletree Deakins Webinar - "The High Cost of “Free” Labor: Will You End Up Paying for Your Unpaid Interns and Volunteers?" - December 11, 2012
- SHRM Arizona Annual Conference - "Medical Marijuana: New challenges for Employers & HR Professionals" - Phoenix - August 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Workplace Strategies Seminar - "Protecting Your Talent When Recruiting Restrictions Are Under Attack" - Phoenix - May 2012
- Ogletree Deakins Seminar - "Screening Practices Under Attack – What Can Employers Use to Make Hiring Decisions?" - Las Vegas - March 2012
- June 7, 2018 - Arizona Big Media - "2018 Legislative session: What’s new for Arizona employers?"
- July 6, 2017 - SHRM Online - "Arizona Paid Sick Leave: Supplemental Draft Regulations Issued"
- December 19, 2016 - SHRM Online - "Arizona’s Minimum Wage and Sick Leave Law Remains Unsettled"
- November 2, 2016 - Arizona Lodging & Tourism Association - "Arizona’s Proposition 206: Much More Than a Minimum Wage Increase"
- March 4, 2016 - Arizona Business Magazine - "What Arizona employers need to know for elections"
- August 21, 2011 - The HR Specialist: California Employment Law - "Supreme Court Upholds Arizona Immigration Law, Backs E-Verify"
- July 22, 2011 - BNA's Workplace Law Report - "U.S. Supreme Court's Landmark Decision in Chamber of Commerce v. Whiting Opens Door for States to Enact Immigration Enforcement Legislation"
- 2009 - Arizona Business Magazine - "The Legal Arizona Workers Act - More Bark Than Bite"
- November 6, 2018 - SHRM Online - "Supreme Court Expands ADEA’s Application"
- July 8, 2017 - Arizona Republic - "Arizona's new sick-leave law: Will you really get more paid time off?"
- April 23, 2017 - Sierra Vista Herald - "Prepare for the rest of Prop. 206, Tucson attorney warns"
- November 20, 2016 - Phoenix Business Journal - "Workers, employers need to get ready for Prop. 206’s paid sick leave"
- November 15, 2016 - SHRM Online - "Arizona and Washington Voters Approve Paid Sick Leave Measures"
- November 14, 2016 - SHRM Online - "Voters Approve Minimum-Wage Hikes in Four States"
- November 14, 2016 - KJZZ - "It’s About More Than Minimum Wage, Arizona Employers Must Also Provide Paid Sick Time"
- November 7, 2016 - SHRM Online - "Will More States Provide Paid Sick Leave After Election Day?"
- July/August 2013 - Arizona Business Magazine - "Bring Your Own Disaster?"
- August 6, 2010 - Phoenix Business Journal - "Five Questions About the Family and Medical Leave Act"
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America (1996-present)
- Chambers USA (2006-present)
- Southwest Super Lawyer (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers in America – Tucson Litigation – Labor and Employment Lawyer of the Year (2013 & 2015); Tucson Employment Law – Management Lawyer of the Year (2012 & 2014)
- Selected to the AV Preeminent list, issued by Martindale-Hubbell