OD Comply: Garnishments helps you comply with state law requirements and minimizes the risk of becoming liable for your employee’s debt.
OD Comply InformationPlease fill out the form below to receive information about subscribing to OD Comply.
Garnishments Subscription includes:
- Concise, user-friendly summaries of the most common and difficult types of wage attachments in all 50 states: creditor wage garnishment, federal student loans, federal tax levies, and voluntary wage assignments [search and sort functions available to create customer-specific state law surveys].
- Comprehensive citations for easy access to relevant legal authorities and links to state garnishment forms.
- Table summarizing fees employers may collect for administering wage attachments, potentially recovering tens of thousands of dollars per year to offset garnishment compliance personnel and costs.
All employers receive wage garnishments from courts and agencies to collect judgments entered against their employees. The use of this collection mechanize is steadily rising. Couple that with the complicated processing and withholding hoops through which employers must jump to administer these court and administrative orders – and what happens? An employer that does not properly comply with the order and its arcane rules and timelines becomes directly responsible for the full amount of an employee’s personal debt.
With a few exceptions, an employer that is located in State A is required to honor and implement a valid garnishment from State A, regardless of whether the employee actually works and earns income in State A. For example, if a Michigan court issues a valid garnishment to a Michigan employer garnishing the wages of an employee who works in California, the Michigan employer must implement the garnishment against its employee working in California — even though the California employee does not work in Michigan.
OD Comply: Garnishments gives your team access to the knowledge required to properly and confidently administer these orders. Whether you handle them in-house or you outsource, your team confronts a difficult compliance balance between employee rights and attorneys/agents vigorously pursuing debt collection; whether from the employee or the employer. The subscription focuses on the most popular, varied, and difficult types of wage attachments:
- creditor wage garnishments (that identify a private employer as the garnishee);
- federal student loan wage garnishments (that are administratively issued by the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) and a patchwork of agents, without the necessity of a court order);
- federal tax levies (that are administratively issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) without the necessity of a court order); and
- voluntary wage assignments (that purport to require a private employer to divert wages outside of the legal system).
OD Comply: Garnishments materials provide employers with not only an up-to-date compilation of federal and state laws, court rules, and linked forms, but also a plain-English guide to legal compliance and insights about what to do when there are compliance mistakes. During the 12-month subscription period, employers will receive legal updates on new garnishment requirements affecting employers, as well as practical, plain-English information on how to navigate the choppy waters between the creditor and the employee.