Ms. Nelson engages in active litigation on behalf of private and public employers of all sizes. Her experience includes defending employers in single plaintiff and multi-party actions involving claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, defamation, breach of contract, and other violates of state and federal law.
Ms. Nelson has additional experience advising employers, including drafting, modifying, and revising employee policies and procedures. She also represents clients before administrative agencies such as the South Carolina Human Affairs Commission and the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Ms. Nelson’s experience includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Achieved summary judgment against plaintiff asserting claims against national retailer for wrongful termination in violation of public policy.
- Achieved summary judgment for tree care company and two managers against plaintiff asserting claims of age discrimination and violation of the state wage payment statute.
- Achieved summary judgment against plaintiff’s claims against a manufacturer for race discrimination and retaliation.
- Achieved partial dismissal of federal claims asserted against state agency involving allegations brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983.
- Represented and obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a grocery chain sued for retaliatory discharge in violation of the state workers’ compensation law.
- Successfully defended numerous discrimination claims brought by pro se plaintiffs.
- Prepared numerous position statements in response to SHAC/EEOC complaints resulting in dismissal and case closures.
- Prepared and/or revised numerous employee handbooks for both small and multi-state employers.
- Advised clients on a variety of issues including termination and accommodation of disabilities.
- Created extensive multi-state surveys regarding key state employment laws (military leave, organ donation leave, jury duty, voting, etc.).