Mike Buchanan is a shareholder in Ogletree Deakins’ Dallas office. Board certified since 1996 in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mike represents leading national, regional, and local clients in complex labor and employment matters ranging from the defense of discrimination claims, class actions, and collective actions, to the prosecution and defense of noncompetition and trade secret disputes. He also represents governmental entities and institutions of higher education in disputes alleging civil rights violations.
Mike is a seasoned trial attorney who has tried jury cases to verdict throughout Texas and Louisiana. He graduated with honors from Vanderbilt University in 1973 and with honors from Baylor School of Law in 1981. In between college and law school, Mike served with distinction as a Surface Warfare Officer and Nuclear Security Officer in the United States Navy.
Since its inception in 2003, Mike has been recognized as a Texas “Super Lawyer” in a poll conducted annually by a Blue Ribbon Panel for Texas Monthly magazine. In 2008, Mike’s peers selected him as one of Texas’ Top 100 Super Lawyers. He has also been recognized as one of the nation’s top labor and employment attorneys in the annual Best Lawyers in America ratings.
REPRESENTATIVE TRIAL EXPERIENCES
- Dismissal with prejudice of class claims of race discrimination against school district (Dallas 2008)
- Negotiation of Conciliation Agreement with EEOC involving class claims of race discrimination (Houston 2005)
- Trial of misappropriation of business opportunity dispute (Dallas 2004)
- Trial of disability discrimination case brought by blind applicant for employment (Sherman 2002)
- Directed verdict for employer at close of plaintiff’s evidence in a sexual harassment case (New Orleans 2000)
- Judgment for defendant after trial on affirmative defense of failure to mitigate in an age discrimination case brought by a terminated warehouse supervisor (Dallas 1999) (affirmed by Fifth Circuit)
- Trial of (Jane Doe v. John Doe) brought by a female client against her former licensed professional counselor claiming that the counselor misused the confidential relationship to prey sexually on clients (Rockwall 1996)