Ogletree Deakins understands that employers face complex and nuanced issues when implementing and enforcing drug and alcohol testing and substance abuse policies.
Drawing on decades of experience advising and defending drug testing laboratories, and public and private employers across the country and internationally, our attorneys provide highly responsive legal service that includes drafting and revising drug and alcohol testing policies; counseling on and analyzing individual drug and alcohol testing situations (including reasonable-suspicion drug testing determinations); conducting investigations and employee training; and litigating class and collective actions, single-plaintiff cases, and regulatory matters in the following areas:
Depth and Experience
Our attorneys bring their specific experience and knowledge of drug and alcohol testing issues to the employers we represent. The depth of our practice allows us to provide the following benefits:
- Access to counsel with on-point and in-state experience who can handle the most complex issues
- Attorneys who are experienced in providing day-to-day legal advice in the context of drug and alcohol testing policies and protocols
- Exceptional nation-wide “bench strength” in drug and alcohol testing policy matters and litigation
- Experience working with general counsel and members of senior leadership teams
- Counsel who monitor pending legislation and legal trends in drug and alcohol testing including the latest science on drug testing modalities
- Training and presentations for executive employees
- Preventive counseling about legal risks associated with drug and alcohol testing
- Experience as liaisons with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and other agencies
- Drug testing legal alerts, newsletters, and webinars for clients
Communication is a vital part of serving the legal needs of our clients. We regularly update clients on the status of their matters and are available for consultation at every step of the decision-making process. This participative practice style promotes information-driven decision making and helps to build strong and lasting relationships based on timeliness, responsiveness, quality, and value.
We are a leader in offering value-based billing for clients. We work closely with our clients to develop fee arrangements that are tailored to their needs, and we are happy to discuss alternative fee agreements that may be of interest to our clients.